2004 WIPP Compliance Recertification Application
DOE/WIPP 04-3231 March 2004
Content of the CRA
As required by Title 40 CFR, Parts 191 and 194, the 2004 Compliance Recertification Application addresses a wide range of topics. It incorporates portions of the first Compliance Certification Application (CCA) and provides updates in those areas where approved changes occurred. It also presents new data and associated analyses. In addition, the application responds to specific requests from EPA for new or expanded information or analyses. Topics addressed in this CRA include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Natural and engineered features of the disposal system, including geology, geophysics, and hydrogeology of the repository and its environs, as well as the geochemistry of interactions between the disposal system and the wastes placed in it;
- Assessments of the disposal system's long-term performance, including the input parameters used in those assessments;
- Criteria for accepting waste at WIPP and the programs and activities that ensure adherence to those criteria;
- Information concerning the inventory of TRU waste emplaced in the repository, stored at DOE sites, and the waste DOE expects to generate at those sites in the future;
- Re-assessments of WIPP-relevant features, events, and processes (FEPs) that are important to the repository's performance, in light of data acquired since WIPP's original certification;
- Individual and groundwater protection standards and DOE's analyses demonstrating that WIPP will meet or exceed those standards; and
- Assurance requirements, including active and passive institutional controls, monitoring and impact of natural resource extraction.
The CRA follows the format of the CCA, but is modified to include new information and to respond to the guidance given by EPA on the content of this first CRA. As approved by EPA, portions of the original CCA were modified for this application; other portions of the CCA are incorporated by reference.
EPA's Recertification Activities Webpage
Notice To Users: Use of this system constitutes consent to security monitoring and testing. All activity is logged
Please report problems to: email@example.com